Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What advertising do you have on your email account?




Brian was looking over my shoulder yesterday when I was checking my email. "What do you think of the advertising on Yahoo?" he asked. He has this 'round about way of saying things which I've learned to translate over time. His question really was a statement. Which was: it sucks that Yahoo has adverstising. I found out that what he really wanted to tell me was that Gmail *doesn't* have advertising, and hence, he thinks Gmail is way better. There are many reasons that Gmail seems better.

This morning, on the way to the office, I was listening to an NPR report on how savvy advertisers are on the internet. They track what you look at, what you buy, and where you live and can tailor advertisements to suit just what you'll be interested in. Or things that you likely are interested in. Kinda scary.

So I started thinking about what I remembered seeing on my email account to see how one of the 2 major companies who manage this sort of thing (apparently there are 2) views me. Their user on this particular computer, which does happen to be, well, just me.

It didn't take me long to realize that I have seen about a million ads for dating sites. Everything, everything, from professional ones to kinda sleezy looking ones.

And I find this embarrasing. Becuase these advertisers had figured out that I HAD been in the market to date someone. Mostly just ads on Craiglist primarily for entertainment and, because of boredom. But I'd also looked at a couple sites out of pure curiousity. My question was this: could the internet help me find love? For real? And a person like me???

The answer was no. It didn't. Instead, I've found love with Brian. Who is someone I've known for 5 year. We met through the traditional dating network of 1) friends and 2) the university.

So, I drove to work wondering how I could let the people who manage those ad agencies that I'm not now single, and really, I prefer advertisements about books, art, herbs, and anything related to social revolution.

Of course, the first thing I checked out when I opened my email account was what advertisement had been chosen for me. I felt really sure it was going to show some picture of some really happy interracial couple. But, it didn't.

Instead, it was an ad for weight loss. Weight loss! Before getting worried about being personally targeted (I am a woman, after all, and I'm sure they assume most women in the US would be interested in weight loss miracles), I check the next 1, 2, 3 advertisements that flash onto my screen.

Weight loss. All of them. Holy shit. This is scary.

Because you know? I've been super stressed lately, and therefore eating things I really should not eat. The last two weeks I've been so busy at work I've had to miss my regular yoga and dance classes. And I generally just feel a bit sloth like right now.

Do they know that???? Could they???

Well...I guess they've figured out I'm not single any more.

6 comments:

brian said...

Yeah, you're right, Tiff. There are a number of reasons I think Gmail is better than Yahoo! Mail. Technically, it's not that they don't advertise, though -- I know, I'm so precise... In fact, not only do they advertise, but they choose ads based on the content of your email, just like you said you thought was a bit suspect. For example, I just got an email from you an hour or two ago about your blog. The very next ad I saw in my Gmail account was "Need to Create a Blog? - www.squarespace.com - An innovative new way to put your blog, and more, online." Also, a few months ago, when there was a bunch of talk about Croatia and such in my emails, the ads were for things like cheap flights to Zagreb and such.

I looked into Gmail's advertising a little more because I was curious -- inspired by your blog post. Google calls them Web Clips. I hadn't realized the extent to which I could customize my settings. I can set up "My Clips" to come from whatever sites I choose -- or none. The catch is that if I get web clips from any sites I like, I will sometimes see ads from sponsored links, as well. And those ads are chosen based on the content of emails I send and receive.

The benefits of Gmail as I see them, with regards to advertisements, in particular, are that the ads are text only, and you can customize your settings, even turn them off, if you like. Also, I have to admit that while I'm with you in thinking that it's a bit scary to think that we're being advertised to based on what could be argued to be private information, it is pretty smart. Maybe I'm a bit biased, too -- I know there are at least a few PhD physicists working at Google. ;-)

Okay, I'll get off my soap box.

I continue to enjoy your writing. It's fun. The whole blog thing is so virtual, so 21st century. Keep it up, yo.

By the way, when was that photo of you and you sister taken? I like it.

danisom said...

You said:

"Do they know that???? Could they???"

I don't know enough to know how or what *They* know, but... it's winter time. All I've eaten for the last week is sugar and fat. Yum.

Sigh. Time to go cook a big healthy stir fry.

danisom said...

I have to an an addendum, because I know this blog is going for the precise folks. Okay, it's not winter time yet. But soon!

brian said...

Precise folks, indeed. ;-)

I'm totally with you, though. It feels like winter to me, too. And I bet in Chicago it's really feeling like winter these days, even though the solstice is still more than a month away.

Unknown said...

I heard that on NPR too. Makes me want to unplug from the internet.

Tiffany said...

The photo is from last year's Old Time music festival here in Portland. Remember, Jen? It's the *best* square dancing event you could ever go to.