Thursday, December 25, 2008

Snowy holiday in Portland

This is our 11th day enveloped by snow here in Portland. It's been a wonderful and welcomed (but not always easy) time here these last few days as my life has slowed down in front of me step by step, breath by breath.

The thing about having real down time is that I get to think about all the things (emotional and real) that I've been putting off as I've been busy, busy, busy. Funny how sometime being busy can allow me to feel so important, when all I'm really doing is, well, staying busy. It's a good, humbling thing to realize.

I've gone through a whole processes these last couple weeks. It started with pure excitement (I love the snow! I don't have to work!), morphed into uncomfortableness as I realized I couldn't get out even if I wanted to, and now has eased into a calmness and gentleness and acceptance. It *does* help that we got out and about yesterday in the car. Downtown was a funny mixture of slow and fast, calmness and chaos, connection and disconnection. Different than I've quite ever experienced before.

We also got out skiing on the mountain last weekend. We were knee deep in the powder. It was truly amazing. The trees were heavy with snow, at this perfect balancing point between layers and layers of powder and the crash after the last piece of snow too many.

The pictures below are from out our apartment window.

Tomorrow it's off to Gresham, no matter the weather. Christmas adventure, here we come!




No comments: