Monday, May 16, 2011

Goodbye (for now) Hetauda





At 7:30 Am tomorrow morning, I will be greeted by a truck that will take my favorite things from Hetauda to Kathmandu. I am moving to Kathmandu!!!

While I have mixed emotions about leaving (I love Hetauda and the people I know here), it's time for me to move on.

Here's a snapshot of what my last week has been like.

Sunday. I decided on an apartment in Kathmandu shared with another volunteer after some serious searching and thinking. Yeah! As we walk in to tell the landlord, however, a very tall German man presents himself as the now rightful owner of the studio space I was going to move into. Darn. But at least he's really nice.

Monday morning. Confirm at another apartment. This time it's a go! It's fabulous, spacious, has good light, a view of the forest, and birds that chirp in the morning. Check. Check. Check.

Tuesday
. Back in Hetauda. Not sure for how many days. Madly start packing and saying goodbyes.

I did not realize how settled in here I was until I come to move my life from one place to another. Did I arrive in Nepal with two pieces of luggage and a handbasket really? Holy crap! In my defense, 90% of my things have been accumulated already by the 4 volunteers here before me.

This does not include the mental and emotional accumulation that I now need to sift through, however, that I can not pawn off on anyone else. Okay - got some work to do.

Thursday. Okay - office vehicle is getting ready to go to Kathmandu tomorrow. No wait, today. Actually - no, tomorrow really. Okay, Okay...I rally for whatever will happen. I need to be ready to throw as much as possible in.

I do this while also having fun baking and cooking, inviting people over for all of the times I wanted to, but didn't yet. There are a stream of people coming over - this is fabulous!

Friday. Strike. Nope, not going to Kathmandu today. Monday, I'll go Monday with a truck instead.

Monday. Today's the day! I'm moving! Wait...nope...truck isn't ready. Tuesday happens to be a much better day for the driver, he says. Apprently Hetauda isn't done with me either. Tuesday, I will leave Tuesday.

Monday evening. Burning ceremony in my back yard. I burn all of the papers and unnecessary things I've accumulated over the last year and a half - well, all that is fit for burning that is. It feels incredibly satisfying to be sitting with all of this as it goes up in flames. I feel lighter afterwards. Even though it's really no fun at all to be standing close to a hot fire in 95% weather as snot pores down my face from being so close to the smoke. Totally worth it. And probably very over due.

My day ends with a delectable meal and dancing in the living room at my friend Sushila's house.

Tuesday......I'm just positive that things will work out for tomorrow. Unless there's another strike. Let's see.

As requested by folks in the COSAN central office. And also so that I can catch up on the city arts and dancing scene. Yeah!

No comments: